Furnishing a new home or updating furniture can be quite stressful. We all want to have peace of mind that our money is being well spent. I have always found that quality and comfort are the most important things that my clients are looking for in furniture. Often, it is a little easier for people to recognize a quality casegood piece while determining the mark of well-made upholstered furniture is more complicated.
With upholstered furniture, it’s not “What you see is what you get”. It is “What you don’t see that determines what you get”. The wood, frame construction, springs, padding and cushion material all determine the quality of the piece and, ultimately, the life of the furniture.
A better-quality upholstery includes:
1. Constructed of kiln-dried hardwood, which prevents warping of the wood.
2. Double-dowelled joins with glued and screwed corner blocks.
3. Springs that are inside the frame. Traditionally, 8-way hand tied coil springs were a sign of a high quality piece, however not to the exception of other spring systems which are just as good. The backs of upholstered pieces are typically sinuous wire springs.
4. Layers of padding (polyurethane foam) that are attached to the frame, so you cannot feel the frame when running your hand along the piece.
5. High-Resiliency Cushions with a density of at least 2.0 pounds per cubic foot. Density is measured by weighing a 12”x12”x12” block of foam.
Whether you prefer a softer or firmer sit, manufacturers offer a variety of cushion types including standard, extra firm, blend down and spring down.
When purchasing a sofa, it is also important to consider the fabric. The fabric must have appropriate abrasion rating to ensure longevity. Performance fabrics are a great option as they have the benefits of fade/UV resistance, durability, ease of cleaning are pet and family friendly and are available in a variety of materials, construction and colours that make them truly versatile.
Good quality furniture is hard to come by in Ottawa. Luckily for our clients, we have access to some of the highest quality brands across North America at CPI Interiors. We stand behind the quality of the products we source, and we know what a good, long-lasting piece of furniture looks like. Let us help you!